35th Annual FIRST Conference | Empowering Communities
TRAVEL & VISA INFORMATION
TRAVELING TO MONTREAL
The Montréal-Trudeau Airport (YUL) is the biggest airport serving the Quebec province, and it's just a 20-minute drive from downtown Montreal. There, you'll find flights from 40 different airlines, many of which are major carriers who operate regular trips in and out of Montreal to more than 140 domestic and international destinations.
Getting to the City Center & Conference Venue:
Taxis are not all yellow, so look for the lit-up taxi light on top of any ordinary looking car. Taxis can be hailed in the street or found at a taxi stand throughout downtown. You can catch a taxi or a limousine near the central exit on the Arrivals level. Taxi rates are fixed at $40 to downtown, and meter to other destinations with a minimum charge of $17. It is customary to tip the driver anywhere from 10% to 20%, with 15% being the average.
Montréal's metro is its underground rail (subway) mass transit system, one of the most important modes of transportation in Montreal. A single adult fare is Cdn$2.75. The metro (subway) system is clean, safe and fast. As an added bonus, the public transit network is relatively simple, with just four lines connecting the downtown center to major tourist sites, bus stops and train stations.
The city’s transit system, called la Société de transport de Montréal (STM), provides bus and metro services to locals and tourists alike. The STM buses providing local services are everywhere. With 10 minutes max service, buses run every ten minutes or less. All night service busses are also available.
The Fairmont does not provide shuttle bus service.
General Travel Advice
All participants of the FIRST conference are responsible for researching and booking their travel arrangements. Here are some tips and reminders to consider:
- Check with your local government regarding restrictions and guidelines for traveling to and from your country of origin
- Check with your employer on travel restrictions or travel procedures currently in place
- Be fully aware of and comfortable with all mandatory requirements and cancellation policies
- Research and purchase travel insurance if it is a reasonable option within your budget
- Book fully refundable airfare if it is a reasonable option within your budget
Guidelines for Visa Assistance
Conference participants requiring a letter of invitation to obtain a travel visa should submit their request as early as possible to avoid delays or possible cancellations.
Please carefully review our guidelines below for the request and receipt of an invitation letter:
- Please visit the Visit Canadawebsite and follow the steps provided to find out whether you require a visa for entry into Canada.
- If you require a visa and need a letter of invitation, please complete your conference registration. Please follow the instructions on the registration form landing page to access the correct registration flow for those requiring a letter. You will not be required to submit payment.
- After you have successfully submitted your registration, please send a brief email to email@example.com with a brief letter request.
- All requests will be run through compliance and thoroughly vetted.
- Approved requests will be contacted within 3-5 business days. Requestors will be emailed a draft letter for review and approval.
- Confirmed and signed letters of invitation will be provided to the requestor via email and in PDF format within 5-7 business days after approval.
- Your conference registration will remain in a Waitlist status until you complete registration payment. Payment can be completed by accessing your registration confirmation email and selecting the Modify My Registration link.
Please keep the following in mind:
- The purpose of a “Letter of Invitation” is to assist participants who need to obtain a visa, or permission to attend the conference and is not an official invitation covering fees or other expenses.
- A letter of invitation does not imply any financial support from the host organization or its approved representatives.
- Requestors requiring a physcial copy of their letter will be responsible for all shipping fees associated.
- Requests for letters of invitation will be accepted up to May 8, 2023.
Please start the research process early and allow adequate time for any processing due to any unforeseen delays.